- 120gm Butter
- 1 Cup brown Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 2 Cups Self Rasing Flour
- 1 Tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 Tsp Nutmeg
- 1 Tsp Bicarb Soda
- 1/2 Cup Golden Syrup
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 30mls Coffee*
- 4 Overripe bananas
An Easy peasy moist banana bread, which resembles the cafe style loaf. The coffee in this banana bread makes it that little bit special, it takes the greasy after taste away, and when taste testing on my fellow colleagues (on night duty of course) no one could taste the coffee.This is an easy recipe and I usually make 2 loaves at once (1 for the freezer). I find using a mix master to beat the sugar and eggs produces a better end result, though if you opt for less washing up, hand mix with a wooden spoon- don’t worry about creaming the sugar and butter. For a extra touch, I add a banana cut in half to the loaf (at the the 50 min mark) sprinkle with brown sugar (to achieve caramelisation) return to the oven for the final 10 mins.
I seem to always get funny looks from the supermarket attendant when purchasing brown banana, when there are so many ripe ones to choose from. Unfortunately bananas in my household get eaten too quickly before they turn brown, so I end up needing to go to the supermarket to get the over ripe ones everyone else seems to reject.
I remember introducing Banana Bread to my sister, who thought it was a healthy option (until I had the heart to tell her it had similar ingredients to cake). She now holds this against me, as she is
addicted! I figure hopefully she will eat just one to many slices and get sick of it, rather than reminding me this.
WOODEN SPOON RATING:
NOW FOR THE RECIPE:
Preheat the oven to 150 degrees.
1. Cream the butter and sugar in an electric mixer (which takes approx 5 mins, the colour will change to light brown)
2. Add eggs and beat well until combined (The mixture may seem curdled)
3. Add flour, cinnamon, nutmeg & bicarb and continue to mix until well combined.
4. Add mashed bananas, golden syrup, vanilla and coffee
5. Pour mixture into a greased loaf tin
6. Bake for 60mins or until set (no mixture sticking to knife)
Toasted with Butter (for those extra delicious calories)
Easy Banana Bread that is moist and won’t last for long
- Wait until banana bread has cooled in the tin, otherwise it will stick and break when removing from the pan (if you can resist)
- An espresso shot can be substituted for 1 tbs of instant coffee in 30mls hot water