- 1 kg free range Pork Belly
- Rock Sea Salt
- Olive Oil
- 2 Fennels
- 2 Brown Onions
- 4 Green Apples
I’m going to show you a fool proof way to cook pork belly ensuring you have a crispy, crunchy skin. When you see how easy it is, you won’t be rushing out to restaurants anymore to get your fix on pork crackling!
I’m may be the only one saying this, but I’m sad to see winter finish as I have to say goodbye to the hearty winter food that warmed the soul those cold nights.
WOODEN SPOON RATING:
NOW FOR THE RECIPE:
For best results, it is recommended you start this day before, however if you are not this organised, 6 hours of the salt rub will be suffice.
1. Pat the pork belly dry with a paper towel. Cut slices through the skin ensuring not to cut into the flesh.
2. Massage the salt into the pork especially around the skin. I also like to add pepper as well.
3. In a baking pan, place the pork (skin side up) on a wire rack to elevate from the base of the baking pan.
4. Also to rest overnight in the fridge. This will help draw out the water to make the perfect crackling on top.
Pork Belly with the Salt Rub
5. Rinse the salt rub off the pork under cold water and pat dry with a paper towel. Leave to come to room temperature before placing in the oven
6. Preheat the oven to 220 degrees Celsius.
7. Slice the fennel into 4cm slices. Quarter the onion and apple (removing the core)
8. Lay the fennel slices on a roasting rack then place the pork belly on top (skin side up). Spray the vegetables with oil.
9. Massage the pork skin with oil and season with salt and pepper.
Pork Belly ready for the Oven
10. Cook for 20 minutes then turn the heat down to 180 Degrees.
11. Roast for 2 hours until the skin becomes crispy
12. Allow to rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
Use the roasted apple as sauce for the pork.
Crispy skin roasted pork without too much effort
– If not all the skin has crisped up, place under the grill for 2-5 minutes- keep your eye on it.
Extra Crispy Pork Belly